Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GOTBLZ

Now able to use update .nca's on original backups!

37 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I just worked out how to apply update nca files to original cartridge ncas. I'll use Kirby Star Allies as an example. 

I used XCI-Explorer to pull the largest .nca out of the games .xci file (which I named kirbystock.nca), and then had the update .nca (which was named kirbyupdate.nca) file too and used hactool to dump Section1 from them both, which gave me a romfs.bin with a file size of >3GB.

So with hactool, your command would be something like

hactool.exe -k keys.dat --titlekey=36762B88E3725A8101837AC6F1020303 --basenca="kirbystock.nca" --section1="atmosphere\titles\01007E3006DDA000\romfs.bin" --exefsdir="atmosphere\titles\01007E3006DDA000\exefs" "kirbyupdate.nca"

If your swapping it over another title, you need to edit the main.npdm to change the title ID. So feel free to dump any updates you have!

i'm assuming now the challenge is to rebuild NCA files back into XCI in order to load them through SX OS

2 hours ago, GOTBLZ said:

If your swapping it over another title, you need to edit the main.npdm to change the title ID. So feel free to dump any updates you have!

Sorry but, it will not work, all what you did is extract a Update file, nothing new here...

1 hour ago, heun said:

Sorry but, it will not work, all what you did is extract a Update file, nothing new here...

Ah yeah, what would I know...

I would actually prefer if *you* didn't believe me.

But hey, thanks for taking the time to see if it worked, sorry you couldn't get it working for yourself. :)

*Sorry thinktech2go, to answer your question, I don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as you could convert the dlc nca "00" files to proper nca's like in this guide 

Hidden Content

Like this post to see the hidden content.
 , then I reckon it'd work fine. I was surprised with just how nicely hactool was able to merge it all...

2018070212151900-5EEE7D02C9E2A34B68D7F7D5349C5290.jpg

2018070212152500-5EEE7D02C9E2A34B68D7F7D5349C5290.jpg

1 hour ago, wiiunator said:

i'm assuming now the challenge is to rebuild NCA files back into XCI in order to load them through SX OS

There are efforts to enable that:

Hidden Content

Like this post to see the hidden content.

Seems complicated, I'm just going to wait for someone to figure it out and start uploading updated backups

5 hours ago, GOTBLZ said:

Hey guys,

I just worked out how to apply update nca files to original cartridge ncas. I'll use Kirby Star Allies as an example. 

I used XCI-Explorer to pull the largest .nca out of the games .xci file (which I named kirbystock.nca), and then had the update .nca (which was named kirbyupdate.nca) file too and used hactool to dump Section1 from them both, which gave me a romfs.bin with a file size of >3GB.

So with hactool, your command would be something like

hactool.exe -k keys.dat --titlekey=36762B88E3725A8101837AC6F1020303 --basenca="kirbystock.nca" --section1="atmosphere\titles\01007E3006DDA000\romfs.bin" --exefsdir="atmosphere\titles\01007E3006DDA000\exefs" "kirbyupdate.nca"

Well done man! Very nice tutorial

28 minutes ago, Rex123a1 said:

Well done man! Very nice tutorial

15 minutes ago, Gymo said:

can confirm! works man

Thanks guys! :) Glad you got it to work, i'm just excited to see where it leads, if there's one bonus already, its that we should be able to keep our games updated without having to update the firmware.

Plus it'd also make it pretty convenient having your backups/updates/dlc all in the same files.