Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShadowPuppet

New Chat lays the frameworks for iPhone/iPad DU App

125 posts in this topic

Pretty sure enclosing your link in media tags wasn't what sparked the idea lars :P  We have been doing that for a long time.

I am all for it myself, waiting anxiously for a working iPhone app :woohoo: I was just thinking the other day of FB'g Spoon to see if I could check out the source code for the one he created awhile back.

I had an idea before that stems back to my active days on IRC, many of the larger channels had people posting links a lot, and there would often be a bot in such channels that would retrieve the title from a linked page and write it to the channel, perhaps we could have a "DUBot" script that could perform that and similar functions. With this being a single-channel chat it wouldn't actually need to be a bot, just a script that recognises a link (and could potentially ignore pages that don't have a title, as well as images). That way if someone posts a youtube link, for example, we would be able to see what that link leads to without having to click it. 

Considering this chat is the foundation for the mobile applications it could potentially save mobile users a lot of precious bandwidth. You could also add other functions under the same script, I feel it's an idea with a lot of potential.

Not to mention, it could keep people from being trolled or rick rolled, or linked to viruses, etc.

I had an idea before that stems back to my active days on IRC, many of the larger channels had people posting links a lot, and there would often be a bot in such channels that would retrieve the title from a linked page and write it to the channel, perhaps we could have a "DUBot" script that could perform that and similar functions. With this being a single-channel chat it wouldn't actually need to be a bot, just a script that recognises a link (and could potentially ignore pages that don't have a title, as well as images). That way if someone posts a youtube link, for example, we would be able to see what that link leads to without having to click it. 

Considering this chat is the foundation for the mobile applications it could potentially save mobile users a lot of precious bandwidth. You could also add other functions under the same script, I feel it's an idea with a lot of potential.

Not to mention, it could keep people from being trolled or rick rolled, or linked to viruses, etc.

rickroll.jpg

rickroll.jpg

"[...]it could CUT DOWN***on people being trolled or rick rolled, or linked to viruses, etc."

...Better? xD

Edit - I haz an idea!!

On another chat I frequent, there is an ability to change your post's background, font, font color, and font size. Would this be possible for DU's chat to do, or is this a horrible idea? lol

Here is a thought I have, not only for the ShoutBox, but the Forum as well.

People make smilies with different characters, and that means that when that happens, it should still show the same smiley.

;-) should show as ;)

:-) should show as :)

:-P should show as :P

:-D should show as :D

:-S should show as :S

:-K should show as :K

:-O should show as :o

:-/ should show as :confused:

:-U should show as :U

:-G should show as :G

:-F should show as :f

:PP should show as =PP

:-PP should show as =PP

:-B should show as :cool:

D-: should show as D:

Here is a thought I have, not only for the ShoutBox, but the Forum as well.

People make smilies with different characters, and that means that when that happens, it should still show the same smiley.

that would require all those emoticon images to be uploaded a second time, as we can't add alternative BBCode for any individual emoticons. Which will make the emoticon list extremely long, and it's already long as it is. I could be wrong, there may be a way to add alternative code, but I don't think so.

You are correct Jason for the forum part of it. For the chat I could definitely add emoticon "aliases". This will be implemented when IPB 4.0 comes out

Wow, it's nice to see forums starting to consider mobile support for the chatbox as well. Though I'm new here, I'll be looking forward to whatever improvements you make.