Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

JasonP27

Opportunity Comes a Knockin'

14 posts in this topic

First, I'd like to take this opportunity to say hello to all the new members that have recently signed up and that have enough interest in DarkUmbra as a community to actually read this topic. You've just taken the first step. ;)

:ledwelcome:

Welcome to DU! How do like DarkUmbra so far? Care to make it even better?

You see, we strive to not only to provide the latest content but also to provide a good community to visit for news, gaming and tech discussion, tutorials, and help and support. The forum thrives because of its dedicated members, and we're always watching to see who is helping around the forum with things like posting news and discussions, helping people in the shoutbox and Help & Support forum, and/or uploading content. This kind of work pays off for everyone because it helps keep DU going and every contribution helps make DU the fantastic place it is. So thank you to all those that have contributed to DU, now, before, and in the future.

:thanks:

That being said, we're always looking for ways to invigorate the forum. We've been thinking of ways to get more of the community involved, and we'd like your opinions on how we can accomplish that. One of the ideas we've had is Competitions. Competitions could range from making theme-based signatures or solving a riddle; prizes can vary from special privileges on the forum, Member of the Month status, or a physical or digital prize. We're eager to start these soon so keep an eye out!

:bulb: If you have any suggestions as to how we can improve the community aspect we'd love to know what you think!

We'll soon be looking to add some members to official positions on the forum. Generally these are reserved for those that contribute a steady supply of content to the forum, whether that be News Hounds providing news and reviews or Uploaders providing links to downloads. Those that participate in this community earn the opportunity to eventually apply for a staff position, if the time comes that we decide we need to expand the staff roster. Keep your eye out for more information and news regarding forum positions soon!

:Jason:

- DarkUmbra Staff

• Like 5

A suggestion for improvement:

Honestly, I'm officially tired of seeing spam and a ton of questions (instead of help and support) in the Shoutbox...

Can this change? This is one thing that TBH, makes me stay away from the forum sometimes because it feels like I have to help someone every time I go on the Shoutbox... And if I'm not on at the same time someone asks for help there, they might never see my solution (if any) to the problem. Ugh.

The Shoutbox is supposed to be more of a place to chat.

Just post help in help and support or if there's something wrong (like you can't extract rars of mine) just PM me personally. Thanks.

Also, good work guys!

Edited by Larsenv
  • Like 1

The shoutbox is not intended for H&S at all. One thing the staff have discussed is adding a popup to the shoutbox that you have to accept the first time you join. Basically just to explain the rules and things like do not ask for H&S here.

Another idea is possibly having a sectioned shoutbox with different channels. One for just general chat and then one for H&S

• Like 2

That would be cool.

Another thing that might be nice to have is a DU Skype chat, if anyone wants to do this I can set one up...

Nah, definitely not going to have a Skype chat because that draws the focus away from DU and like JJ said, only helps one person.

I unno...

Like Lars mentioned, if H&S is offered in any chat, it only helps that one person. Posting questions in the provided forum will help many. I think we just have to be diligent, and not allow those types of questions in the chat. 

I agree. With the addition of Q&A style forums in 4.0, we should easily be able to make use of it in the best way so that as many people as possible can benefit from it.

• Like 1

What about tournaments? We've tried these in the past, but we didn't have a large user base back then. Maybe they would work now?

This is always on the table but it requires someone to garner interest, create, and moderate the tournament. Any volunteers?

I've wondered for a while about the News Forum.

To ensure no one misses any News from any Source, why hasn't anyone made a script to use an RSS Feed and post the latest news from there?

I know Python and using it to download news for my Wii News Channel Project and with a module called Newspaper I can download the whole article, pictures, everything.

This would also save time, because posting them manually is time consuming.

RSS would be OK except a lot of news really isn't worth posting from most sites, plus the formatting would likely be an issue. For example all links would need to be removed automatically.

The search bar is very unobtrusive, I think that's the reason for so many help requests etc. in the shoutbox. If it was a bit more obvious in the layout it might help to prevent some of these requests. 

If we had a dedicated Help and Support chat we could implement a function for moderators to select several messages and format them into a help and support forum post, so that others may benefit from the support that's been offered in real time. Similar to those live chat things when you go on to a website and you can talk to a member of staff, but better formatted to a multi-user experience. 

It's definitely possible to make an RSS reader that strips formatting and links, which would make it much easier to paste in as plain text, the only issue would be the images not pasting in, they'd have to be added manually. I'll have a play around with some scripts and see if it'd be possible to do in-browser, to get just an "article view", since most blogs use the same formatting it'd be easy to snag just the main content, and then format it specifically for DU. The next step if this works would be for news hounds to be able to post to the appropriate sections of the forum directly from a browser extension. Very possible, it'd just take a bit of work

• Like 1